N.C. State holds off Elon 79-76Dec 18, 2009 - 2:21 AM By AARON BEARD AP Basketball Writer
RALEIGH, N.C.(AP) -- Tracy Smith scored 13 of his 21 points in the second half - including two key baskets in the final 90 seconds - that helped North Carolina State rally past Elon 79-76 on Thursday night.
Dennis Horner scored a career-high 23 points for the Wolfpack (8-1), who turned in an unimpressive performance in their final game before an early start to Atlantic Coast Conference play. N.C. State trailed by as many as 11 points in the first half and didn't push ahead for good until the final 6 minutes, then had to hang on until the buzzer.
Smith's three-point play put the Wolfpack in front with 5:25 to play. He then came through with a layup and a turnaround shot over Adam Constantine for a 73-68 lead with 45.9 seconds left.
Constantine scored a career-high 26 points for Elon (3-8), which had a chance for a desperation 3-pointer to tie it but couldn't get the shot off in time.
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 79 FINAL
Dec 17 9:00 PM
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 33 HALFTIME
Dec 17 7:49 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5
- NC State keeping eye on 'Cat' Barber's injured knee Jan 25
- Highly recruited Smith assisting NC State from sideline Jan 22