Troy holds off New Orleans 78-76Dec 18, 2009 - 4:06 AM TROY, Ala.(AP) -- Michael Vogler scored 19 points and Brandon Hazzard added 13, including two free throws in the final 9 seconds, to help Troy beat New Orleans 78-76 on Thursday night.
The Trojans (6-5, 1-0 Sun Belt Conference) led by six points with 19 seconds left until Jaroslav Tyrna's 3-pointer at the 10-second mark pulled New Orleans within 76-73.
Hazzard hit one of two free throws to push Troy's lead to 77-73 before Devin McDonald hit a 3 to pull the Privateers (5-5, 0-2) within one. Hazzard then took the inbounds pass, was immediately fouled and hit his final free throw to seal it for Troy.
Hazzard surpassed 900 points for his career.
Vernon Taylor added 14 points for Troy, who won their first conference opener since joining the Sun Belt five seasons ago. Yamene Coleman scored 11 and grabbed 10 rebounds.
Billy Humphrey scored a career-high 31 points for New Orleans.
- NCAA BB
NEW ORLEANS 76
TROY 78 FINAL
Dec 17 10:02 PM
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- Troy names Cunningham new men's basketball coach Mar 26
- Butler downs New Orleans Jan 5
- No. 17 Butler seeks ninth straight win in clash with New Orleans Jan 5
- No. 17 Mississippi State routs Troy Dec 10
- Trojans hit road seeking upset of 17th-ranked Bulldogs Dec 10
- White scores 27 as Ole Miss tops Troy 84-65 in NIT Mar 17
- North Texas 66, Troy 63 Mar 9
- North Texas edges Troy 66-63 for Sun Belt bid Mar 9
- Troy recovers to defeat Western Kentucky 54-48 Mar 8
- Troy beats S. Alabama 67-55 in Sun Belt quarters Mar 7