Haws, Tavernari lead BYU to 77-61 win over WagnerDec 18, 2009 - 4:54 AM PROVO, Utah(AP) -- Tyler Haws scored 16 points and Jonathan Tavernari added 14 as BYU beat Wagner 77-61 Thursday night in the first round of the HoopTV Las Vegas Classic.
Haws made a fast-break layup and Tavernari scored six straight points early in the game to spark a 14-0 run by BYU (9-1).
BYU's Noah Hartsock added 12 points, eight rebounds, four assists and three blocked shots. Jackson Emery finished with a game-high five assists.
Ryan Conrad led Wagner (1-8) with 14 points.
The Cougars recorded assists on 13 of their 15 first-half baskets and led 41-23 at halftime.
The big early run gave BYU a 22-7 lead, and Wagner never pulled closer than 13 points.
BYU held Wagner to 31 percent shooting.
The Cougars host Eastern Washington on Saturday in the second round of the Classic. Wagner plays at Nevada on Saturday. The tournament shifts to Las Vegas next week.
- Top-seeded Wagner tops Robert Morris 59-50 in NEC tourney Mar 2
- Wagner beats Robert Morris 62-54 behind Carey Feb 27
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- Wagner edges Robert Morris 72-69 Jan 4
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17