Akron defeats UNC Greensboro 83-59Dec 19, 2009 - 2:32 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Anthony "Humpty" Hitchens scored 14 points and Akron cruised to an 83-59 victory over North Carolina-Greensboro on Friday night.
Hitchens played only 16 minutes, coming off the bench to shoot 6-for-9 from the field for the Zips (6-3), who have won six of their last seven games.
Akron used a 14-0 run, holding the Spartans scoreless for 5:30 early in the first half, to take a double-digit lead. UNC Greensboro (2-7) never got closer than eight and trailed by as many as 32 in the second half.
The Spartans, who have lost three straight, shot 35.3 percent from the field (18-for-51) while the Zips shot 58.9 percent (33-for-56).
Chris McKnight added 12 points for Akron and Brett McKnight and Brett McClanahan had 11 each.
Brandon Evans, a transfer from East Carolina, had 13 points for the Spartans and has scored in double figures in six of the last seven games.
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9
- Ohio edges Akron to take MAC title Mar 11
- MAC title on the line as Bobcats battle Zips Mar 10