Coastal Carolina beats Savannah St. 91-70Dec 19, 2009 - 9:49 PM CONWAY, S.C.(AP) -- Chad Gray scored a career-high 31 points in a milestone win for Coastal Carolina coach Cliff Ellis, as the Chanticleers eased past Savannah State 91-70 on Saturday.
It was the 568th win for Ellis, moving him into a tie for 12th place for Division I wins among active coaches. Ellis has 646 career wins.
Joseph Harris added 19 points and Danny Nieman had 11 for the Chanticleers (10-2), who have won six straight for the first time since the 2006 season. It's also the earliest Coastal Carolina has posted 10 wins in a campaign since 1981-82.
Savannah State (4-8) traded leads with Coastal Carolina in the first half and trailed 58-50 with 13:18 left. But Nieman sandwiched a pair of free throws around a Gray jumper, sparking a 21-8 run that sealed it for the Chanticleers.
Preston Blackmon scored 19 to lead the Tigers.
- Wisconsin eases past Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Chanticleers face tall task in second-round clash with Badgers Mar 20
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Virginia survives scare from Coastal Carolina Mar 22
- Virginia begins tournament run against Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9