Barney's 28 leads Loyola, Md. past Howard 85-51Dec 19, 2009 - 8:45 PM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Jamal Barney scored 28 points and Loyola of Maryland dominated Howard in an 85-51 rout on Saturday.
Tony Lewis had 14 points and Brett Harvey added 11 for the Greyhounds (5-5), who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Mike Phillips scored 17 points and had seven rebounds for the Bison (1-9), who hadn't played a game since Dec. 5. Paul Kirkpatrick had 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds.
Loyola, which never trailed, jumped out to an 18-6 lead when Barney scored on a layup with 9:22 left in the first half. Barney went 11-for-14 from the floor and 3-for-4 from beyond the arc.
Howard did cut the Greyhounds' lead to 32-29 on Phillips' two free throws early in the second half. But the Bison pulled no closer as Loyola answered with six straight points and later took a 23-point advantage on Barney's three-point play.
- Late surge gets No. 13 UConn past Loyola Nov 27
- Greyhounds hoping to run past 13th-ranked Huskies Nov 26
- Loyola-Maryland promotes Smith to head coach Apr 12
- Report: Loyola-Maryland extends Patsos Mar 28
- Thomas pours in 31 as Ohio State routs Loyola-Maryland Mar 16
- Buckeyes battle Greyhounds to begin tournament run Mar 15
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- No. 3 Kentucky downs Loyola-Maryland behind balanced attack Dec 22
- Greyhounds face tall task in clash with third-ranked Wildcats Dec 22