Spencer's 22 leads LSU past Rice 65-61Dec 19, 2009 - 9:33 PM BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- Bo Spencer scored 22 points, including two important free throws in the final minute, to lead LSU to a 65-61 victory against Rice on Saturday.
A goaltending call on a shot by Eddie Ludwig put the Tigers ahead 57-52 in the second half. After Tamir Jackson hit a jumper for the Owls, Spencer made a field goal for LSU (8-2).
Ludwig hit two foul shots with 57 seconds to play to give the Tigers a 61-54 lead. After Lawrence Ghoram knocked down a 3-pointer, Spencer made two free throws with 38 seconds left. One free throw by both Chris Bass and Aaron Dotson clinched the victory.
Spencer was 8-for-16 from the field, including 4-for-10 on 3-pointers. Tasmin Mitchell recorded a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Storm Warren added 11 points, while Dotson had 10.
Jackson led Rice (5-5) with a season-high 19 points - 12 in the second half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
RICE 27 34 61
LSU 30 36 66 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: RICE - TAMIR JACKSON 19, LAWRENCE GHORAM 17,
ARSALAN KAZEMI 12
LSU - BO SPENCER 22, STORM WARREN 11, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 10
Dec 19 4:04 PM
- NCAA BB
LSU 30 HALFTIME
Dec 19 2:45 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- LSU coach takes responsibility for disappointing season Mar 15
- LSU coach: Tigers won't play in any postseason tourneys Mar 13
- LSU says Ben Simmons ineligible for Wooden Award Mar 5
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Simmons confident LSU will raise game vs. tougher schedule Dec 28
- Evans leads Rice to 67-54 win over St. Thomas (Texas) Dec 17
- Fast start by LSU's Simmons compares well to recent greats Dec 4
- LSU hoping Simmons, Blakeney make Tigers an SEC power Oct 29