Northwestern beats Stanford 70-62 for 8th straightDec 19, 2009 - 9:19 PM EVANSTON, Ill.(AP) -- John Shurna scored 22 points and Northwestern used aggressive defense to beat mistake-prone Stanford 70-62 Saturday, the Wildcats' eight consecutive victory.
Northwestern (9-1) matched its best start in 79 years. The winning streak is its longest since it went 9-0 to start the 1993-94 season. Northwestern had lost its previous four games to Stanford.
Landry Fields had 24 points, nine rebounds and five assists for Stanford (5-5), which was forced into 18 turnovers and committed 28 fouls. Entering the game, the Cardinal had averaged only 11.3 turnovers, 17th best in the nation.
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN 70 FINAL
Dec 19 4:04 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN 33 HALFTIME
Dec 19 2:50 PM
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Pickens scores 20 in Stanford's 93-59 win over Buccaneers Nov 15
- Harvard, Stanford to face off in 2016 hoops opener in China Nov 13
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11
- Stanford G Robert Cartwright to miss season Nov 4
- Cartwright out indefinitely Nov 3