Evansville pulls away from Tennessee-Martin 84-63Dec 20, 2009 - 4:03 AM EVANSVILLE, Ind.(AP) -- James Haarsma's fourth double-double of the season paced Evansville to an 84-63 victory over Tennessee-Martin on Saturday night.
Haarsman had 18 points and 14 rebounds as the Purple Aces overcame the individual effort of Benzor Simmons, who had 35 points and 10 rebounds for the Skyhawks (1-8). Simmons made 11 of 18 shots, including a pair of 3-pointers, and 11 of 12 free throws.
The game was tied 30-30 at halftime, but Evansville used runs of 10-1 and 13-4 to go ahead 64-44, putting it out of reach.
Bryan Bouchie scored 18 for Evansville (6-3), and Troy Taylor had an odd double-double of 10 assists and 10 rebounds. Denver Holmes and Colt Ryan chipped in with 12 apiece.
The Skyhawks shot just 29.3 percent and were outrebounded 49-30.
No one besides Simmons scored more than seven points for the Skyhawks, who were coming off a seven-day layoff.
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Northern Iowa handles Evansville Feb 25
- Purple Aces hope to play spoiler in clash with Panthers Feb 25
- Wichita State shuts down Evansville Feb 22
- Evansville comes calling on No. 13 Wichita State Feb 22
- No. 13 Wichita State silences Evansville Jan 17
- Purple Aces host 13th-ranked Shockers in MVC melee Jan 17
- Evansville tops No. 23 Northern Iowa Jan 1
- MVC action pits Panthers against Purple Aces Jan 1
- Bulldogs seek to ground Skyhawks Dec 22
- Tennesse-Martin tabs Schroyer as new hoops coach Mar 21