Sam Houston State rolls past Auburn 107-89Dec 20, 2009 - 9:36 PM AUBURN, Ala.(AP) -- Gilberto Clavell scored 34 points, going 14-of-17 from the field, to lead Sam Houston State to an 107-89 victory against Auburn on Sunday for the school's first victory against a Southeastern Conference opponent.
Corey Almond added 25 points and Lance Pevehouse had 13 off the bench for Sam Houston State (7-3), which shot 57.6 percent from the field.
Auburn's Frankie Sullivan tied the game at 28 with two foul shots, but the Bearkats pulled away with 8:41 left in the half.
Sam Houston State shot 65.6 percent from the field and 9 of 15 from the 3-point line to take a 58-42 halftime lead.
Auburn (5-6) pulled within 86-72 with 8 minutes left in the game, but Sam Houston State hung on.
It was the most points Auburn has allowed since 1994, when Arkansas defeated the Tigers 117-105.
DeWayne Reed led Auburn with 19 points and Tay Waller scored 18.
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro Feb 12
- Auburn will be without leading scorer against Tennessee Feb 8
- Auburn top scorer Kareem Canty suspended indefinitely Feb 6
- Pearl: Auburn's Cinmeon Bowers to return against LSU Feb 1
- Auburn's Bowers brings energy, rebounds back to lineup Jan 21
- Pearl: Auburn guard Shamsid-Deen out for season Jan 15
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12
- Auburn Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Auburn's Pearl relying again on overhauled roster Oct 29
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15