N.J. Tech 37, Virginia 68Dec 22, 2009 - 2:41 AM CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) -- Jeff Jones scored 11 points to lead Virginia as they cruised past New Jersey Institute of Technology 68-37 on Monday night.
Sylven Landesberg chipped in with 10 points for the Cavaliers (5-4), while Assane Sene added 11 rebounds. The win snapped a two-game losing streak for Virginia.
The Cavaliers ended the first half with an 8-0 run, and went into halftime with a 32-19 lead. In the second half, the lead ballooned to 28 points, as Virginia used a 14-2 run to take a 61-33 lead with 5:05 left in the game.
Jheryl Wilson led the Highlanders (3-8) with 11 points on 3-of-11 shooting.
NJIT shot 27.1 percent from the field (13-for-48), and shot 50 percent from the free throw line (5-for-10).
Virginia shot only 38.7 percent from the field (24-for-62), but outrebounded the Highlanders 46-31.
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4