Providence rallies past Yale, 87-78Dec 22, 2009 - 2:25 AM Providence, R.I.(AP) -- Jamine Peterson had a double-double with 25 points and 13 rebounds to help Providence rally past Yale 87-78 on Monday night.
The Friars (8-4) pulled away down the stretch despite trailing most of the way against the Bulldogs (4-6), who were playing a major-conference team for the first time this season.
Sharaud Curry, Vincent Council, and Marshon Brooks added 13 points each for the Friars.
The Bulldogs led 40-36 at halftime after leading by as many as 11 in the first half.
But the Friars finally proved too much, going on an 11-3 run after trailing by seven points with 12:28 to play.
Brooks put Providence up for good, 65-63, on a 3-pointer with 8:36 left.
Alex Zampier, who finished with 25 points, scored 15 during the first half for the Bulldogs. Greg Mangano added 14 points off the bench for Yale.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
YALE 40 38 78
PROVIDENCE 36 51 87 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: YALE - ALEX ZAMPIER 25, GREG MANGANO 14,
MICHAEL SANDS 10
PROVIDENCE - JAMINE PETERSON 23, MARSHON BROOKS 15,
TWO PLAYERS WITH 13
Dec 21 9:04 PM
- NCAA BB
PROVIDENCE 36 HALFTIME
Dec 21 7:49 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4