Wise lifts UC Irvine in 74-61 win over PepperdineDec 22, 2009 - 5:36 AM IRVINE, Calif.(AP) -- Eric Wise scored 12 consecutive UC Irvine points late in Monday night's game to boost the Anteaters to a 74-61 victory over Pepperdine.
Wise punctuated his game-high 23 points with four baskets and four free throws that turned a 53-50 lead into a 65-59 edge with 2:20 to play.
The Anteaters (6-5) then ran off nine unanswered points before Mychel Thompson scored at the buzzer for the Waves (3-10).
Michael Hunter scored 16 and Darren Moore 14 for UC Irvine. Thompson led Pepperdine with 16, with Dane Suttle Jr. adding 15 and Lorne Jackson 13.
Pepperdine led 40-37 at halftime and went ahead 45-37 on Taylor Darby's basket at 18:18 of the second half. But soon Wise took over. He made 8 of 16 shots and 7 of 8 free throws, tying his season high.
The Anteaters snapped a two-game losing streak. Pepperdine sustained its seventh consecutive loss.
- NCAA BB
UC IRVINE 74 FINAL
Dec 21 11:43 PM
- NCAA BB
UC IRVINE 37 HALFTIME
Dec 21 10:43 PM
- Pepperdine extends Wilson Jun 5
- Louisville edges UC Irvine, avoids upset Mar 20
- Anteaters hope to sniff out victory against seasoned Cardinals Mar 20
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9
- Gonzaga slips past Pepperdine in 2nd half Feb 14
- Waves hope to come crashing down on third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga edges Pepperdine Jan 16
- Waves hope to wash away third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 15
- Arizona runs away from UC Irvine Nov 20