Saint Mary's defeats Northeastern 78-67Dec 22, 2009 - 10:28 PM HONOLULU(AP) -- Omar Samhan led four players in double figures with 19 points and Saint Mary's beat Northeastern, 78-67, Tuesday in the first round of the Diamond Head Classic.
The Gaels (10-1) broke away from the Huskies after Ben Allen broke a 49-all tie with a 3-pointer with 11:27 to play. Northeastern (2-6) was down 66-61 on a Nkem Ojougboh dunk at the 3:01 mark, then Saint Mary's made all 10 of its free throws in the final 1:03 to seal it.
The Gaels were 16-of-18 from the line and shot 48 percent (10 of 21) on 3-point attempts. The Huskies missed all eight 3-point shots but were 50 percent (28-for-56) from the field.
Matthew Dellavedova scored 17 points, Allen had 15 and Jorden Page added 13 for the Gaels. Matt Janning and Manny Adako led all players with 20 points. Ojougboh had 17 points with nine rebounds for the Huskies.
- NCAA BB
SAINT MARYS CA 78 FINAL
Dec 22 4:52 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT MARYS CA 35 HALFTIME
Dec 22 3:44 PM
- Irish survive upset bid in NCAA opener Mar 19
- Midwest Regional action pits Irish against Huskies Mar 19
- Northeastern dancing for first time since 1991 Mar 9
- Huskies and Tribe meet for CAA crown Mar 9
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20
- Gaels come calling on 20th-ranked Red Storm Dec 19
- Gonzaga rolls through Saint Mary's Jan 3
- Early WCC showdown pits Gaels against Zags Jan 2