Southern Cal rallies past Western Michigan 55-51Dec 23, 2009 - 1:02 AM HONOLULU(AP) -- Mike Gerrity scored 15 of his team-high 17 points in the second half and Southern Cal beat Western Michigan 55-51 Tuesday in the first round of the Diamond Head Classic.
The Trojans (6-4) trailed 27-18 at halftime after shooting just 22 percent from the field but shot 54 percent in the second half to rally past the Broncos (4-5).
Western Michigan's Martelle McLemore tied it at 50 with a 3-point play with 1:50 to go, but Gerrity scored the next four points to give USC a 54-50 lead with 21 seconds left. David Kool hit the front end of two free throws for the Broncos on their next possession, but his 3-point attempt with five seconds left was no good.
Marcus Johnson, Nikola Vucevic and Dwight Lewis had 10 points apiece for USC.
McLemore led all players with 21 points, and Kool added 11.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WESTERN MICHIGAN 27 24 51
USC 18 37 55 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: WESTERN MICHIGAN - MARTELLE MCLEMORE 21, DAVID KOOL 11,
NATE HUTCHESON 9
USC - MIKE GERRITY 17, DWIGHT LEWIS 12, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 10
Dec 22 7:25 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN MICHIGAN 27
USC 18 HALFTIME
Dec 22 6:14 PM
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- Southern California looks to improved talent to find way up Oct 28
- Southern California Preview Capsule Oct 28
- No. 7 Arizona eases past USC Feb 20
- Pac-12 tilt pits Wildcats against Trojans Feb 19
- No. 11 Utah routs USC Feb 2
- Utes seek redemption in Pac-12 clash with Trojans Feb 1
- Utah routs USC in Pac-12 opener Jan 3