Northwestern downs Central Connecticut State 74-54Dec 23, 2009 - 3:02 AM EVANSTON, Ill.(AP) -- John Shurna scored a career-high 29 points as Northwestern defeated Central Connecticut State 74-54 Tuesday night for its ninth straight victory and its best start in 79 years.
The last time the Wildcats (10-1) won 10 of their first 11 games was also the last time they won an outright Big Ten championship - 1930-31. The winning streak is their longest since they went 9-0 to open the 1993-94 season, and they then lost their first nine conference games.
Northwestern, which hasn't finished as high as fourth place or had a winning record in the Big Ten since 1968, starts conference play Dec. 30 at Illinois.
Drew Crawford scored 15 and Michael Thompson 14 for the Wildcats.
Robby Ptacek scored 22 points for Central Connecticut State (3-6), which has played only one home game.
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL CONN 54
NORTHWESTERN 74 FINAL
Dec 22 9:57 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CENTRAL CONNECTICUT 22 22
NORTHWESTERN 34 34 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE - ROBBY PTACEK 8, VINCE ROSARIO 6,
MARKEYS DEANS 4
NORTHWESTERN - MICHAEL THOMPSON 12, JOHN SHURNA 11,
DREW CRAWFORD 9
Dec 22 8:50 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11
- Northwestern looks to make jump in Collins' third season Oct 27
- Northwestern at a glance Oct 27
- Northwestern rewards Collins with extension May 26
- Wisconsin dominates Northwestern Feb 7
- Wildcats and Badgers meet in Big Ten battle Feb 7
- Maryland pulls out comeback win over Northwestern Jan 25