Creighton empties bench early in 85-56 routDec 23, 2009 - 4:22 AM OMAHA, Neb.(AP) -- Creighton had a Qwest Center Omaha-record 28 assists on 32 baskets and beat Houston Baptist, 85-56, on Tuesday night in its final tune-up before Missouri Valley Conference play next week.
The Bluejays (5-6) got 53 points from their bench and improved to 5-0 at home this season. Cavel Witter scored a season-high 18 points in 20 minutes off the bench, and fellow reserves Wayne Runnels and Ethan Wragge added 13 and 10 points, respectively. Starters Darryl Ashford (12 points) and Kenny Lawson Jr. (11) were also in double figures.
Remy Boswell had 14 points and Mario Flaherty added 12 for Houston Baptist (1-11), which is in its third year transitioning to Division I.
The Bluejays led 14-1 at the outset and 44-18 by halftime, enabling them to empty their bench early. Creighton built its largest lead of the season in the second half at 76-40 with 8:40 to play.
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Butler slips past Creighton Feb 17
- Bluejays and Bulldogs meet in Big East brawl Feb 16
- Georgetown holds Creighton to 40 points Jan 31