Arizona State defeats South Carolina-Upstate 61-52Dec 23, 2009 - 11:26 PM TEMPE, Ariz.(AP) -- Ty Abbott scored a season-high 15 points and Jamelle McMillan also had 15 as Arizona State held off South Carolina-Upstate 61-52 on Wednesday.
The Sun Devils (10-3) had two long periods of defensive dominance, going on a 23-3 scoring run in the first half and a 19-3 run in the second half, but could not pull away while winning their fourth straight.
Sharod Minus hit a 3-pointer for the Spartans (1-10) with 2:12 remaining to cut Arizona State's lead to 56-52 before McMillan answered with a 3-pointer with 1:30 left for a 59-52 edge.
McMillan made two free throws with 25.4 seconds remaining to close the scoring.
Arizona State center Taylor Rohde added a career-high 12 points while playing 25 minutes because starting center Eric Boateng got into early foul trouble.
Carter Cook had 13 points to lead South Carolina-Upstate.
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 52
ARIZONA ST 61 FINAL
Dec 23 6:00 PM
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 25
ARIZONA ST 30 HALFTIME
Dec 23 4:54 PM
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Arizona State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley adds big boost of excitement at Arizona State Oct 28
- Hurley trying to make the pieces fit at Arizona State Sep 30
- ASU hires Duke legend Hurley as head coach Apr 9
- ASU fires Sendek Mar 24
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Utah routs Arizona State with dominant first half Feb 27