Xavier holds on for 70-67 win over Miami (Ohio)Dec 24, 2009 - 2:30 AM By JOE KAY AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI(AP) -- Jordan Crawford made four free throws in the last 23 seconds Wednesday night, and Xavier held on for a 70-67 victory over Miami (Ohio) in a game that ended with more clock controversy.
Xavier (7-4) was coming off a 69-68 loss at Butler on Saturday, when the officials ruled that the clock should have run out after the winning basket with 1.2 seconds to go, preventing the Musketeers from getting a final shot. This time, a clock question gave Miami (3-9) a chance to tie it.
Dante Jackson stole Miami's inbound pass with 6.7 seconds left, but the officials waved off the play because one of them was checking the clock at the time. Given a second chance, Miami's Kenny Hayes shot an air ball on his 3-point attempt at the buzzer.
Xavier blew a 17-point first-half lead before rallying. Crawford led the Musketeers with 19 points. Hayes had 24 for Miami.
- NCAA BB
MIAMI OH 67
XAVIER 70 FINAL
Dec 23 9:12 PM
- NCAA BB
MIAMI OH 31
XAVIER 38 HALFTIME
Dec 23 7:54 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27
- Arizona and Xavier collide in Sweet 16 Mar 26