Boston College defeats Massachusetts 79-67Dec 24, 2009 - 2:14 AM BOSTON(AP) -- Joe Trapani finished with 18 points after a rough start and Corey Raji added 18 to lead Boston College to a 79-67 win over Massachusetts in the Commonwealth Classic on Wednesday night.
Rakim Sanders added 15 points and eight assists for BC, which overcame 32 percent shooting in the first half with 53 points after halftime. Trapani, who missed seven of his initial eight shots and scored just two points in the opening half, was 5-for-9 from the floor in the second half.
The Eagles (8-4) won their second straight after embarrassing home losses to Harvard and Rhode Island, both from weaker conferences.
The Minutemen (6-6), coming off a last-second 73-72 win over Memphis on Saturday, were led by Anthony Gurley's 23 points and Sean Carter's 16. Terrell Vinson, who hit a bank shot in the lane with 0.7 seconds left to beat the Tigers, finished with two points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MASSACHUSETTS 25 42 67
BOSTON COLLEGE 26 53 79 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MASSACHUSETTS - ANTHONY GURLEY 23, SEAN CARTER 16,
RICKY HARRIS 12
BOSTON COLLEGE - COREY RAJI 18, JOE TRAPANI 18, RAKIM
Dec 23 9:04 PM
- NCAA BB
BOSTON COLLEGE 26 HALFTIME
Dec 23 7:46 PM
- BC looks to avoid winless ACC year in football, basketball Mar 4
- 30 Boston College students get sick after eating at Chipotle Dec 7
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Boston College eager for young stars to emerge Oct 26
- Boston College Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Paige, North Carolina top BC Mar 11
- Tar Heels take on Eagles in ACC Tournament action Mar 11
- Notre Dame takes out Boston College once more Feb 21
- No. 25 VCU survives challenge from UMass Feb 21
- Irish set sights on Eagles in ACC affair Feb 21
- UMass pays visit to No. 25 VCU Feb 21
- Miami-Boston College game moved to Monday Feb 15