Monmouth outlasts Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 65-51Dec 24, 2009 - 3:17 AM WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J.(AP) -- Reserve Justin Sofman scored 18 points and Monmouth (N.J.) used a late second-half surge to beat Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 65-51 on Wednesday night.
With the Hawks (4-9) leading 43-29 with 13:18 left, the Islanders used a 16-2 run to pull ahead 46-45 with 7:35 remaining. After the score was tied twice - the last time at 50 with 6:11 left - Monmouth closed out the game on a 15-1 spurt with Sofman scoring nine points.
Monmouth was 22-for-62 (35.5 percent) from the field while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (4-6) shot 35.3 percent (18-for-51). But the Hawks were 9-for-23 from long range as the Islanders shot 3-for-20.
Monmouth's Travis Taylor, named the Northeast Conference Player of the Week on Monday, had his fourth double-double of the season with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
Kevin Palmer scored 21 points to lead Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, which won the rebounding battle 41-37.
- NCAA BB
TX A&M CORP CHR 51
MONMOUTH 65 FINAL
Dec 23 8:58 PM
- NCAA BB
TX A&M CORP CHR 21
MONMOUTH 31 HALFTIME
Dec 23 7:52 PM
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- Syracuse destroys Monmouth Dec 8
- Hawks face tall task in clash with fourth-ranked Orange Dec 8
- No. 20 Notre Dame dominates Monmouth Nov 12
- Monmouth seeks upset of Notre Dame Nov 12
- Tar Heels breeze past Monmouth for seventh straight win Jan 1
- Tar Heels play final tune-up before start of ACC play Jan 1
- Turner helps Aggies down Islanders Nov 26
- No.25 Aggies host Islanders in College Station Nov 26