Conyers leads Akron past Valparaiso 77-57Dec 27, 2009 - 9:45 PM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Jimmy Conyers scored a career-high 22 points, the most by an Akron player this season, as the Zips cruised to a 77-57 win over Valparaiso on Sunday.
Akron (9-3) has won five straight and nine of its last 10 games.
Conyers, a senior averaging 9.2 points as a starter in the previous six games while shooting 51.5 percent (17-for-33), was 10-for-13 from the field against the Crusaders (5-8).
Conyers scored 15 in the first half on 7-for-8 shooting, helping Akron to a 36-23 halftime lead.
Valparaiso opened the second half with four straight points, then the Zips pulled away with a 14-0 run to lead 50-27 with 15:19 left.
Akron shot 55.4 percent from the field (31-for-56), outrebounded the Crusaders 33-22 and had 18 assists to Valparaiso's five.
Brett McKnight added 17 points and nine rebounds for the Zips.
Brandon Wood scored 18 points to lead the Crusaders.
- NCAA BB
AKRON 77 FINAL
Dec 27 4:01 PM
- NCAA BB
AKRON 36 HALFTIME
Dec 27 2:52 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Nix, Michigan State cruise past Valpo in second round Mar 21