Blakely has 23, Vermont rallies past Marist 72-62Dec 29, 2009 - 4:14 AM POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y.(AP) -- Marqus Blakely had 23 points and 11 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season as Vermont rallied to defeat winless Marist 72-62 on Monday night.
The Catamounts (8-5) trailed 42-35 with 17:16 left, then used a 17-2 run over the next 9:39 to take the lead for good. Blakely, who scored seven points in the spurt, finished 8-for-10 from the floor and 7-for-9 from the line with four steals and two blocks.
The Red Foxes (0-10) made it a four-point game on a free throw by Daye Kaba with 2:30 left, but Maurice Joseph answered with a 3-pointer for Vermont.
The Catamounts, who have won five straight on the road, trailed 37-31 at halftime after making only three of their last 17 shots from the field.
Marist, which was averaging 54.9 percent from the free throw line, made 9 of 10 foul shots in the first half.
Candon Rusin led the Red Foxes with 16 points.
- NCAA BB
MARIST 62 FINAL
Dec 28 9:46 PM
- NCAA BB
MARIST 37 HALFTIME
Dec 28 8:29 PM
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Marist hires Maker to replace Bower Jun 17
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Marist names Bower men's basketball coach Apr 11
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13
- North Carolina rolls on without Henson, tops Vermont Mar 16
- Vermont goes for broke in NCAA tourney clash with North Carolina Mar 16
- Vermont downs Lamar, joins field of 64 Mar 14