Gibbs' 23 lead Pitt past DePaul 65-52Dec 29, 2009 - 2:18 AM By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer
PITTSBURGH(AP) -- Ashton Gibbs scored 23 points and Pittsburgh bolted to a 13-point lead in the opening 6 1/2 minutes to take control, and the Panthers held off a late rally to defeat DePaul 65-52 on Monday night in the Big East opener for both teams.
Gibbs scored three baskets to help Pitt (11-2) surge to a 15-2 lead and the Panthers led by as many as 16 points at 30-14. DePaul (7-6), coming off a 64-61 loss to Florida Gulf Coast, was held to nine points in the opening 10 minutes.
Jermaine Dixon, the only returning starter from Pitt's 31-5 team of last season that reached an NCAA regional final, added 12 points.
Will Walker and Mac Koshwal scored 11 points each and Mario Stula had 10 as cold-shooting DePaul lost its fifth in seven games.
- NCAA BB
PITTSBURGH 65 FINAL
Dec 28 8:53 PM
- NCAA BB
PITTSBURGH 39 HALFTIME
Dec 28 7:47 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26