Florida beats American 76-60, snaps 3-game skidDec 29, 2009 - 2:34 AM GAINESVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Alex Tyus had 20 points and nine rebounds, Kenny Boynton added 19 points and Florida snapped a three-game losing streak with a 76-60 victory over American University on Monday night.
Vernon Macklin finished with a career-high 18 points for the Gators (9-3), who won for the first time since Dec. 4.
Florida had been ranked as high as No. 10, but dropped close games against Syracuse, Richmond and South Alabama.
The Gators rebounded against American, an NCAA tournament team in 2009 that is rebuilding after losing several seniors. The Eagles (2-11) made it close by outscoring Florida in the second half and finishing 10-for-24 from the 3-point line.
Nick Henden led American with 15 points and 13 rebounds. Vlad Moldoveanu added 14 points and was 4-for-6 from behind the arc.
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18