UTEP advances to Sun Bowl final with 93-56 winDec 29, 2009 - 5:00 AM EL PASO, Texas(AP) -- Randy Culpepper scored 24 points and Derrick Caracter finished with 15 points and 15 rebounds as UTEP defeated Norfolk State 93-56 in the first round of the Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational on Monday night.
The Miners (8-2) shot 59 percent in the first half to take control of the game and build a 56-21 lead.
Michael Deloach scored 18 points to lead the Spartans (1-9).
Arnett Moultrie added 19 points and Claude Britten 10 for UTEP, which shot only 27 percent in the second half but was never threatened.
The Miners will play either Air Force or Niagara in the invitational championship game Tuesday.
- UTEP coach Floyd suspended 1 game Feb 27
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- No. 3 Arizona outlasts UTEP Dec 20
- Third-ranked Wildcats hit road to battle Miners Dec 19
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17
- Norfolk State pays visit to No. 9 Virginia Nov 16
- Three UTEP men's hoops players dismissed after gambling probe Jan 7
- Ellis, Kansas hold off UTEP Nov 30
- Jayhawks seek redemption in clash with Miners Nov 30
- White powers Iowa past UTEP Nov 29
- Iowa takes on UTEP in Battle 4 Atlantis semifinal Nov 29