Fresno State stops Colorado State, 73-50Dec 29, 2009 - 5:54 AM FRESNO, Calif.(AP) -- Greg Smith scored 18 points and Sylvester Seay added 17 to power Fresno State to a 73-50 victory over cold-shooting Colorado State on Monday night.
Mike Ladd had 12 points for Fresno State (7-7), including 4-for-5 from 3-point range.
Dorian Green scored 12 points for Colorado State (8-5). The Rams couldn't make a dent in a 23-point halftime deficit after shooting 17.9 percent in the first half.
The Bulldogs snapped a two-game losing streak heading into their Western Athletic Conference opener Saturday night against Boise State. The Rams dropped their second straight road game in California after losing to UCLA on Dec. 22.
Fresno State, which shot 49 percent, led by as many as 34 points following an 11-0 run early in the second half.
Smith had six points during the surge. The 6-foot-10 freshman followed a baby hook with an emphatic dunk that put the Bulldogs ahead 50-16 with 16:16 to go.
Colorado State, which scored just 13 points in the entire first half, countered by scoring 14 straight points, slashing the deficit to 50-30 with 13:05 left, before Ladd capped another 11-0 Bulldogs surge with consecutive 3-pointers from opposite corners.
Green's steal and layup with 2:44 left brought Colorado State to within 68-50, but the Rams would get no closer than that.
Andy Ogide and Jesse Carr added eight points apiece for Colorado State, which committed 21 turnovers against Fresno State's zone defense.
The Rams shot 52 percent in the second half and finished the game at 34 percent.
Ladd's corner 3-pointer with 2 seconds left before halftime - that skimmed the backboard before going in - put Fresno State ahead 36-13.
The Rams shot just 17.9 percent (5 of 28) in the first half while committing 12 turnovers.
It was Fresno State's second-most lopsided win of the season. The Bulldogs beat San Diego 69-37 on Dec. 6.
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Colorado St. extends Eustachy, contract runs through 2019 Dec 8
- Wyoming outlasts Fresno State in triple OT Jan 18
- Cowboys visit Bulldogs in pivotal Mountain West clash Jan 17
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- Gillon powers No. 24 Colorado State past Boise State Dec 31
- Broncos and Rams square off in Mountain West opener Dec 31
- Colorado State holds off upset-minded New Mexico State Dec 27
- Aggies entertain undefeated Rams Dec 27
- Colorado State cruises past Charleston Southern Dec 23
- CSU extends men's basketball coach Eustachy Nov 21