Eastern Kentucky knocks off Morgan State 76-62Dec 30, 2009 - 1:41 AM CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.(AP) -- Justin Stommes scored 20 points to lead Eastern Kentucky to a 76-62 victory over Morgan State on Tuesday.
The Colonels (8-4), who had lost two straight games, shot 51.1 percent from the field (23-for-45) and used a 10-1 run to break away early in the second half in the first round of the Dr Pepper Classic.
Eastern Kentucky led 36-31 before Joshua Jones and Josh Taylor hit 3-pointers to help the Colonels take a 44-31 advantage with 17:30 remaining in the game.
Morgan State's Kevin Thompson hit a free throw before Jones capped the run with a layup and a 46-32 lead with 16:25 left. The Colonels' lead stayed in double figures the rest of the way.
Jones finished with 16 points and Taylor added 15 for Eastern Kentucky.
Reggie Holmes scored 25 points to lead Morgan State (7-5), the 11th time in 12 games he's scored at least 20 points. Thompson added 14 points.
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29