Wittman leads Cornell past La Salle 78-75Dec 30, 2009 - 12:29 AM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Ryan Wittman scored a career-high 34 points to become Cornell's all-time leading scorer as the Big Red held off La Salle 78-75 on Tuesday.
Wittman, a senior forward, needed 31 points to surpass John Bajusz (1983-87), who had 1,663. Wittman scored 23 points in the second half to finish 11-for-21 from the field, including 4-for-9 from 3-point range, and 8-for-9 from the free throw line.
Cornell (10-2) shook off the loss of injured starters Louis Dale (ankle) and Alex Tyler (leg) - who are listed as day-to-day - to win its eighth straight game and snap the Explorers' six-game home winning streak.
After the Big Red led 38-27 at halftime, the Explorers opened the second half with a 12-2 run to pull within 40-39. They could get no closer as Cornell shot 60 percent (15-for-25) after the break.
Rodney Green led La Salle with 19 points and Jerrell Williams added 14.
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- La Salle downs slumping VCU in double OT Feb 11
- Explorers seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Feb 11
- No. 10 Villanova tops Big 5 rival La Salle Dec 4
- La Salle seeks upset of No. 10 Villanova Dec 3
- Brogdon and Virginia down La Salle Nov 29
- Explorers seek upset of eighth-ranked Cavaliers Nov 28
- Jett's late basket lifts Saint Louis over La Salle Feb 9
- Explorers play host to 13th-ranked Billikens Feb 8