San Diego State edges UC Riverside, 58-53Dec 30, 2009 - 5:21 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- Billy White scored 13 points as San Diego State held off UC Riverside 58-53 Tuesday night.
The Aztecs (10-3) have won seven of their last eight and hold an 8-0 all-time record against the Highlanders (6-6).
UC Riverside, which trailed by as many as 10 points early in the second half, closed to within 54-53 on a jump shot by Kyle Austin with 44 seconds left. Austin led the Highlanders with 19 points.
Kawhi Leonard, who scored the Aztecs' final six points, hit a pair of free throws to restore San Diego State's three-point lead.
Malcolm Thomas blocked Austin's 3-point attempt with 2.7 seconds left and Leonard made two more free throws.
White scored nine of his 13 points in the first half, including the final eight of the half as San Diego State went on a 10-1 run to move into a 29-20 lead.
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 53
SAN DIEGO ST 58 FINAL
Dec 30 12:06 AM
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 20
SAN DIEGO ST 29 HALFTIME
Dec 29 10:52 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20