Horner leads NC State past Winthrop 68-52Dec 30, 2009 - 2:11 AM RALEIGH, N.C.(AP) -- Dennis Horner scored 12 points to help North Carolina State defeat Winthrop 68-52 on Tuesday night.
Richard Howell added 11 points for the Wolfpack (9-3), who responded with a 9-0 run after their 23-point lead diminished to eight early in the second half.
N.C. State led 41-29 at halftime on the strength of a 30-7 run that began early in the period. The Wolfpack scored on 11 of 12 possessions, including 10 in a row, and made eight of their season-high 10 3-pointers in the first half.
Robbie Dreher scored 14 points to lead Winthrop (5-7), which scored fewer than 60 points for the eighth time this season.
The Eagles shot 32 percent from the floor, including 3-for-18 from 3-point range. Winthrop pulled within eight points at 48-40 with 11:18 remaining, but C.J. Williams hit back-to-back jumpers and Howell made a 3-pointer and a layup to restore N.C. State's cushion.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WINTHROP 29 23 52
NORTH CAROLINA STATE 41 27 68 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: WINTHROP - ROBBIE DREHER 14, ANDY BUECHERT 7,
CHARLES CORBIN 6
NORTH CAROLINA STATE - DENNIS HORNER 12, RICHARD HOWELL 11,
THREE PLAYERS WITH 9
Dec 29 8:52 PM
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 41 HALFTIME
Dec 29 7:47 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5
- NC State keeping eye on 'Cat' Barber's injured knee Jan 25