Coastal Carolina defeats Georgia Southern 76-64Dec 30, 2009 - 4:10 AM CONWAY, S.C.(AP) -- Chad Gray scored 24 points and grabbed seven rebounds off the bench to help Coastal Carolina defeat Georgia Southern 76-64 on Tuesday night.
The Chanticleers shot 50.9 percent from the field (27 of 53) and finished December undefeated for the first time in school history.
Coastal Carolina (12-2) finished the month 7-0 and surpassed the win total of last season's 11-20 squad.
Logan Johnson had six assists for the Chanticleers, who finished with 18 assists and eight turnovers.
Mario Edwards scored 13 points and was 3 of 6 from 3-point range for Coastal Carolina, which shot 54.5 percent from long range in the first half (6 of 11).
The Eagles (3-11) pulled within 45-36 with 13:19 left, but the Chanticleers scored six straight points. Gray put Coastal Carolina up 51-36 with 12:15 remaining.
Ben Drayton led Georgia Southern with 17 points and Colby Wohlleb added 15.
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 64
COASTL CAROLINA 76 FINAL
Dec 29 9:26 PM
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 25
COASTL CAROLINA 35 HALFTIME
Dec 29 8:17 PM
- Wisconsin eases past Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Chanticleers face tall task in second-round clash with Badgers Mar 20
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Virginia survives scare from Coastal Carolina Mar 22
- Virginia begins tournament run against Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12