San Diego wins 63-56 over Savannah StateDec 30, 2009 - 5:16 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- Roberto Mafra scored 14 points as San Diego used a balanced attack to hold off Savannah State 63-56 on Tuesday night.
Mafra was one of four players in double figures for San Diego (6-8), which won for just the second time in nine games.
De'Jon Jackson scored 13 points, and Matt Dorr and Chris Lewis had 12 each for the Toreros, who held a double-digit lead throughout most of the game.
Arnold Louis scored a game-high 23 points to lead Savannah State (5-9) and Tracy Rankins finished with 15.
The Toreros, who made their first six shots for a 14-4 lead, led 39-28 at halftime by hitting 65.0 percent from the field, including 5 of 7 3-pointers.
A pair of 3-point shots by Matt Dorr gave San Diego its biggest lead of the game at 53-38 with 11:03 left. The Tigers battled back to within 62-56 on consecutive baskets by Louis in the last 39.8 seconds.
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- No. 7 Gonzaga holds off San Diego Dec 30
- Toreros host Bulldogs in WCC action Dec 29
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- No. 13 SDSU beats rival San Diego again Dec 5
- Rivals square off as Aztecs host Toreros Dec 4
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24