Davidson's knocks off Massachusetts 63-61Dec 31, 2009 - 3:11 AM DAVIDSON, N.C.(AP) -- JP Kuhlman hit two free throws with 4 seconds left to lift Davidson to a 63-61 victory over Massachusetts on Wednesday night.
Kuhlman, a freshman, finished with 18 points to lead the Wildcats (6-8), who led 61-55 with 2:19 remaining before UMass (6-7) scored six straight to tie the score at 61 on Ricky Harris' jumper with 12 seconds left.
Kuhlman drove to the basket and was fouled by UMass' Anthony Gurley. Kuhlman hit both ends of the 1-and-1 for a 63-61 lead.
Gurley's last-second shot rolled off the rim as time expired.
Brendon McKillop added 13 points for Davidson, which has won three straight and four of its past five games.
Harris led UMass with 21 points and Gurley finished with 17 points. Sean Carter had 10 rebounds for the Minutemen, who shot 35.7 percent from the field (25-for-70). They are 0-7 this season when shooting below 40 percent.
- White dominates as Iowa downs Davidson Mar 21
- South Region pits Hawkeyes against Wildcats Mar 20
- VCU beats Davidson to reach A-10 title game Mar 14
- Rams and Wildcats collide in A-10 bout Mar 14
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- No. 25 VCU survives challenge from UMass Feb 21
- UMass pays visit to No. 25 VCU Feb 21
- Davidson hands No. 22 Dayton first A-10 loss Jan 20
- Davidson hosts No. 22 Dayton Jan 20
- VCU holds off Davidson Jan 8
- Rams butt heads with Wildcats in A-10 matchup Jan 7