Vermont 71, Mount St. Mary's, Md. 69Dec 31, 2009 - 3:24 AM EMMITSBURG, Md. (AP) -- Marqus Blakely scored 26 points and grabbed 11 rebounds and Joey Accaoui hit the game-winning free throws with 2.5 seconds left as Vermont held off Mount St. Mary's (Md.) 71-69 on Wednesday night.
The Catamounts (9-5) have won seven of their last eight games while the Mountaineers (3-9) are on a seven-game skid.
Vermont, which trailed 35-29 at halftime, tied the game on 3-pointers by Maurice Joseph and Accaoui. The score was knotted four more times before the Catamounts used a 9-2 spurt to lead 65-58 with 3:43 remaining.
With Vermont up 68-65, Danny Thompson made two layups for Mount St. Mary's while the Catamounts were 1-for-2 from the free throw line for another tie at 69 with 8 seconds left.
Accaoui was fouled by Jeremy Goode and went to the line for the first time in the game, sinking both foul shots to seal the win.
Goode led the Mountaineers with 20 points.
- NCAA BB
MT ST MARYS 69 FINAL
Dec 30 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
MT ST MARYS 35 HALFTIME
Dec 30 7:50 PM
- Mount St. Mary's coasts to 70-49 win over Robert Morris Jan 28
- Mt. St. Mary's uses big 1st half to beat Robert Morris 76-52 Jan 14
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Zeller, Hoosiers rout Mount St. Mary's Dec 19
- No. 6 Indiana takes aim at Mount St. Mary's Dec 19
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13