Southern beats Chicago State 67-60 for second winDec 31, 2009 - 12:58 AM BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- Earnest Jones and Jazz Williams scored 12 points apiece and Jones grabbed 14 rebounds as Southern scored nine of the final 11 points to defeat Chicago State 67-60 on Wednesday night.
Jones' free throw with 3:15 remaining broke a 58-58 tie. A steal by Norm Nixon Jr. led to a Doug Scott layup to put the Jaguars (2-10) ahead 61-58, and Nixon made a 3-pointer with 2:24 left for a 64-58 lead.
It was the second win in four games for Southern, which lost its first eight.
Southern led 18-10 with 12:14 left in the first half, but the Cougars (5-9) took a brief lead, 23-22, with a 13-4 run. Jonathan Montgomery, who led Chicago State with 16 points, made four free throws during that stretch and Christian Wall, who scored 11, had 3- and 2-point jumpers.
Southern took a 32-29 lead into halftime and remained on top until the Cougars tied it 56-56 with 4:59 to play.
- NCAA BB
CHICAGO ST 60
SOUTHERN 67 FINAL
Dec 30 6:53 PM
- NCAA BB
CHICAGO ST 29
SOUTHERN 32 HALFTIME
Dec 30 5:45 PM
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22
- No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0 Dec 20
- Top-ranked Wildcats set sights on Jaguars Dec 19