Merthie, Campbell rout Appalachian State 92-63Dec 31, 2009 - 4:19 AM BUIES CREEK, N.C.(AP) -- Lorne Merthie scored a career-high 24 points on 9-of-11 shooting and Campbell never trailed while defeating Appalachian State 92-63 on Wednesday night.
Jonathan Rodriguez added 20 points, seven rebounds, four assists and five steals for the Camels (7-4), while Preston Dodson matched his career high with 16 points on 7-of-9 shooting. Junard Hartley had 10 of Campbell's 28 assists.
Donald Sims led Appalachian (7-6) with 16 points, plus seven assists, and became the 29th player in Mountaineers history to reach 1,000 career points. Jeremi Booth added 15 points and six rebounds.
Campbell opened a 20-6 lead with 12:39 remaining in the first half and led by as many as 21 before a late Mountaineers run pulled them within 48-33 at the intermission.
The Camels scored the first seven points of the second half to effectively put the game out of reach.
- Russell powers Ohio State over Campbell Nov 27
- Camels hope to get over hump in clash with Buckeyes Nov 26
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Campbell tabs McGeehan as head coach Apr 11
- Gardner-Webb moves on with rout of Campbell Mar 7
- Gonzaga thumps Campbell Dec 20
- Camels try to get over the hump in clash with 14th-ranked Zags Dec 19
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- Wright, No. 22 Cincy thump Campbell Nov 20
- Camels hit road to battle 22nd-ranked Bearcats Nov 20