Free throws lift Illinois-Chicago to 60-56 victoryDec 31, 2009 - 9:07 PM CHICAGO(AP) -- Robo Kreps went 18 for 18 from the free-throw line Thursday as Illinois-Chicago defeated Detroit 60-56.
The Flames (5-8, 1-2 Horizon) shot just 28.1 percent (16 for 57) from the floor, including 17.6 percent (3 for 17) on 3-point attempts. But they made up for it by hitting 25 of 31 free throws and taking advantage of 23 turnovers by Detroit.
Kreps was the only hot hand for Illinois Chicago. He finished with 31 points, accounted for all three Flames 3-pointers and hit 5 of 10 field goals overall.
Chase Simon had 14 points and Thomas Kennedy 11 for Detroit (9-5, 2-1), which attempted only 14 free throws, making nine. The Titans pulled within two points, 58-56, when Simon hit one of two free throws with 50 seconds remaining, and got the ball back with a chance to tie it. But Xavier Keeling's layup with 4 seconds left was blocked by the Flames' Brad Birton.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 60 FINAL
Dec 31 3:02 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 30 HALFTIME
Dec 31 1:50 PM
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- Wichita State rallies past Detroit Dec 13
- Titans seek upset of 11th-ranked Shockers Dec 13
- No. 24 Michigan pulls away to beat Detroit Nov 20
- Intrastate rivals collide, as Titans visit Wolverines Nov 20
- Calhoun, UConn rout Detroit Nov 14
- Huskies host Titans in 2K Sports Classic Nov 14
- UIC gives Moore contract extension Apr 17
- Detroit-Temple men's hoops game postponed Dec 27
- Boeheim earns 900th win as Syracuse holds off Detroit Dec 17
- Boeheim goes in search of win No. 900 Dec 17