Valparaiso edges out Wisconsin Milwaukee 55-54Jan 1, 2010 - 4:08 AM VALPARAISO, Ind.(AP) -- Brandon McPherson intercepted a pass and made a fastbreak layup in the final seconds on Thursday night to hoist Valparaiso to a 55-54 win over Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
The lead changed hands five times in the final 2 1/2 minutes, despite the Crusaders (6-8, 1-1 Horizon) leading for most of the second half.
The winning shot came less than 20 seconds after UMW's Ja'Rob McCallum sank a 3-pointer that put the Panthers (8-6, 1-2) up by one.
McCallum, who came in off the bench, made six of 13 from long distance and finished with a team-high 20 points.
Brandon Wood led the Crusaders with 22 points, while Matt Kenney scored 10.
McPherson's shot came when he picked off a long inbound pass by UMW's James Eayrs and made the break from just inside the half-court line.
It was two of just three points he had in 21 minutes of play.
- NCAA BB
WISC MILWAUKEE 54
VALPARAISO 55 FINAL
Dec 31 10:09 PM
- NCAA BB
WISC MILWAUKEE 22
VALPARAISO 28 HALFTIME
Dec 31 8:56 PM
- Milwaukee hires Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan as coach Apr 7
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Fired Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter: It's been a difficult day Mar 17
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Wisconsin rolls over Milwaukee Dec 10
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 10
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee banned from postseason Apr 9