Mack leads Butler past Wisconsin-Green Bay 72-49Jan 1, 2010 - 2:29 AM INDIANAPOLIS(AP) -- Shelvin Mack scored 14 points Thursday night as Butler handed Wisconsin-Green Bay its first Horizon League defeat 72-49.
Gordon Hayward added 13 and Willie Veasley 10 for the Bulldogs (9-4, 2-0), whose scoring was spread among 11 players. Veasley also had four steals, and Andrew Smith grabbed a game-high eight rebounds.
The Phoenix (10-5, 3-1) got 11 points from Rian Pearson and 10 from Seth Evans.
Returning to the court after an eight-day layoff, Butler went on a 14-7 run that turned an 8-8 tie into a 22-15 advantage with 6:44 left in the first half. The lead crested at 11 late in the half, and the Bulldogs led 35-27 at the break.
Butler roared out of the second-half gate on a 12-2 surge. Only Matt Smith's dunk interrupted the run, which gave the Bulldogs a comfortable 47-29 edge with 15:59 to play.
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- Green Bay announcer says game ejection was misunderstanding Mar 9
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- Green Bay pulls away from Morehead State in 2nd half, 78-72 Dec 28