Northern Iowa coasts past Evansville 65-46Jan 2, 2010 - 3:40 AM CEDAR FALLS, Iowa(AP) -- Northern Iowa started both halves with huge runs en route to a 65-46 victory over Evansville on Friday night.
Adam Koch scored 16 points and Johnny Moran 15 for the Panthers (11-1, 2-0 Missouri Valley), who won their 10th in a row. Denver Holmes was the only double-figure scorer for the Purple Aces (6-6, 0-2) with 17.
Northern Iowa started the game with an 11-0 spurt, the first nine coming from Moran. Troy Taylor's free throw finally got Evansville on the board.
The Purple Aces rallied through the rest of the first half and went to the break ahead 33-31.
But Northern Iowa opened the second half with a 21-4 blast and led 52-37 with 9:41 to go. The Panthers were never in trouble after that, pushing the lead to 24 at 65-41.
Northern Iowa has won 10 in a row against Evansville and leads the series 18-17.
- NCAA BB
NORTHERN IOWA 65 FINAL
Jan 1 9:51 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHERN IOWA 31 HALFTIME
Jan 1 8:48 PM
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8