Leonard, Missouri State beat Illinois State 68-64Jan 2, 2010 - 3:11 AM By JOHN MARSHALL AP Sports Writer
SPRINGFIELD, Mo.(AP) -- Adam Leonard scored 20 points and made several key plays down the stretch, and Kyle Weems added 19 points to help Missouri State hold off Illinois State 68-64 Friday night.
Missouri State (12-1, 2-0 Missouri Valley Conference) rode its starters for most of the game, never able to pull away until the closing seconds in its biggest win so far. Jermaine Mallett added 15 points and 11 rebounds for the Bears in their first home game since Dec. 9.
Illinois State (10-3, 1-1) clawed back after numerous Missouri State runs, pulling even in the closing seconds before coming up just short. Jackie Carmichael had 14 points, Osiris Eldridge 13 and Dinma Odiakosa 11 for the Redbirds.
An 11-win team a year ago, Missouri State has used scrappy defense and interchangeable parts on offense for its best start since opening 13-1 under Steve Alford in 1996-97.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS ST 64
MISSOURI ST 68 FINAL
Jan 1 9:54 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS ST 28
MISSOURI ST 31 HALFTIME
Jan 1 8:48 PM
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Good Knight: Illinois St. stuns Wichita in MVC semis Mar 7
- Shockers meet Redbirds in MVC semifinals Mar 7
- Tuttle, UNI cruise past Missouri State Feb 15
- Bears face uphill climb in bout with 13th-ranked Panthers Feb 15
- No. 15 Wichita State tops Illinois State Feb 14
- Redbirds seek upset of 15th-ranked Shockers Feb 14
- No. 13 UNI overwhelms Illinois State Feb 11
- VanVleet posts triple-double; Shockers slam Bears Feb 7
- Shockers play host to Bears in MVC action Feb 7