Coastal Carolina defeats Winthrop 57-47Jan 2, 2010 - 10:07 PM CONWAY, S.C.(AP) -- Joseph Harris scored 16 points to lead Coastal Carolina to a 57-47 win over Winthrop on Saturday.
Harris led four players in double-figure scoring, and added eight rebounds for the Chanticleers (13-2, 3-0 Big South Conference), who have now won nine straight. Logan Johnson scored 14, while Mario Edwards and Danny Nieman added 10 apiece. The game was the fourth of Coastal Carolina's current five-game home stand.
The Chanticleers opened the second half with a 9-0 run to take a 38-26 lead with 15:38 remaining. A layup from Winthrop's Charles Corbin cut the lead to 41-38 with 8:10 left, but the Eagles would get no closer the rest of the way, as Coastal Carolina was 8-for-8 from the free throw line in the final 2 minutes.
Winthrop (5-8, 1-2) was led by Robbie Dreher, who scored 11 points. The Eagles are now on a four-game losing streak.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Wisconsin eases past Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Chanticleers face tall task in second-round clash with Badgers Mar 20
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Virginia survives scare from Coastal Carolina Mar 22
- Virginia begins tournament run against Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16