Smith leads Santa Clara to 71-68 victoryJan 2, 2010 - 11:44 PM SANTA CLARA, Calif.(AP) -- Ray Cowels made four free throws in the final 5 seconds and Robert Smith scored a season-high 17 points as Santa Clara held on to beat New Hampshire 71-68 on Saturday.
Michael Santos added a season-high 15 points as the Broncos (8-8) snapped a three-game losing streak. Marc Trasolini had 12 points.
Tyrone Conley scored a career-high 28 points to lead the Wildcats (5-6). Dane DiLiegro added 20 points.
The Broncos took a 65-58 advantage into the final minute before the Wildcats rushed back to take the lead at 68-67 on a running jumper from Chandler Rhoads with 14 seconds remaining.
Cowels gave the Broncos the lead again with 5 seconds to play and sealed it with two foul shots with 1.6 seconds left. He was 6 for 6 from the free-throw line and finished with eight points.
- NCAA BB
NEW HAMPSHIRE 68
SANTA CLARA 71 FINAL
Jan 2 6:12 PM
- NCAA BB
NEW HAMPSHIRE 29
SANTA CLARA 33 HALFTIME
Jan 2 4:57 PM
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- New Hampshire rolls over Worcester State 100-66 Dec 8
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10
- Michigan State cruises past Santa Clara Nov 25
- Broncos hit road seeking upset of Spartans Nov 24
- No. 24 Gonzaga tops Santa Clara to open WCC play Dec 28
- Gonzaga opens WCC slate against visiting Santa Clara Dec 28