New Orleans holds off Florida International 68-58Jan 2, 2010 - 11:38 PM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- Billy Humphrey scored 29 points, including a 3-pointer that put New Orleans ahead to stay in a 68-58 victory over Florida International on Saturday.
Humphrey, in his second game back with the Privateers (6-9, 1-3 Sun Belt) after missing two games with a knee injury, was 4-for-7 on 3-pointers, including one with 6:42 to play that gave New Orleans a 61-58 lead.
The Golden Panthers (4-13, 1-3), who never led and trailed by as many as 17 points in the first half, cut their deficit to 41-30 by halftime and scored the first eight points of the second half to get back into the game.
Charles Carmouche added 18 points for New Orleans, which ended a seven-game losing streak.
Marvin Roberts and Marlon Bright scored 13 points apiece for Florida International, and Stephon Weaver broke a school record for consecutive free throws by hitting both his attempts to give him 19 in a row.
- NCAA BB
NEW ORLEANS 68 FINAL
Jan 2 5:51 PM
- NCAA BB
NEW ORLEANS 41 HALFTIME
Jan 2 4:54 PM
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12
- Hilltoppers and Panthers duke it out for Sun Belt crown Mar 11
- Butler downs New Orleans Jan 5
- No. 17 Butler seeks ninth straight win in clash with New Orleans Jan 5
- Louisville blows past FIU Dec 20