Lawal, Georgia Tech hold off Charlotte 76-67Jan 3, 2010 - 2:35 AM By MIKE CRANSTON AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- Gani Lawal had 29 points and rescued Georgia Tech from a late collapse as the Yellow Jackets overcame 31 points from Derrio Green in a 76-67 victory over Charlotte on Saturday night.
After squandering a 15-point second-half lead, Lawal hit several key free throws and had a big block in the final minute and Georgia Tech (11-2) recovered to win its third straight to move within one victory of last season's total.
Green hit seven 3-pointers in his career-best night for the 49ers (10-3), who trailed by 12 with 8 minutes left before a 17-4 run put them ahead 66-65 with 2:38 left.
But D'Andre Bell answered with a 3-pointer and Lawal hit two free throws. Up 70-66, Lawal rejected Chris Braswell in the lane and later put it away at the line.
Lawal hit 17 of 20 free throws and added 10 rebounds. Iman Shumpert added nine points in his first game back from knee surgery.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEORGIA TECH 37 39 76
CHARLOTTE 29 38 67 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: GEORGIA TECH - GANI LAWAL 29, D'ANDRE BELL 11, IMAN
CHARLOTTE - DERRIO GREEN 31, DIJUAN HARRIS 14, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 8
Jan 2 9:20 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGIA TECH 37
CHARLOTTE 29 HALFTIME
Jan 2 8:01 PM
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Georgia Tech hires Pastner from Memphis to replace Gregory Apr 9
- Bobinski looking for coach to revitalize Georgia Tech hoops Mar 28
- Georgia Tech fires men's basketball coach Brian Gregory Mar 25
- Georgia Tech's Georges-Hunt 'thankful' for spot in NIT Mar 14
- ACC Tournament could decide Gregory's future at Georgia Tech Mar 8
- Georges-Hunt's faith finally paying off for Georgia Tech Feb 24
- Georgia Tech is 1 of college basketball's biggest mysteries Jan 26
- Georgia Tech finally shows it can win a close ACC game Jan 11
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Georgia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Georgia Tech's Gregory under pressure to move up in ACC Oct 26