Eastern Kentucky beats Tennessee State 79-71Jan 3, 2010 - 2:24 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Spencer Perrin scored 14 points and had two steals in a key run to help Eastern Kentucky defeat Tennessee State 79-71 on Saturday night.
The Colonels (9-5, 2-1 Ohio Valley Conference) trailed 63-61 with 3:24 left and Perrin made a three-point play with 3:04 remaining to put the Colonels ahead 64-63.
The Tigers (3-11, 0-3) answered with a jumper by Josh Sain to tie it with 2:37 left, but then turned the ball over twice to help East Kentucky pull away.
After Justin Stommes' free throw, Perrin had a steal and made two free throws, then grabbed another steal leading to a three-point play by Papa Oppong for a 70-65 Colonels' lead with 1:35 to play.
All five starters scored in double figures for the Colonels as Josh Taylor had 17 points, Stommes 16, Oppong 14 and Joshua Jones had 13.
Sain led the Tigers with 13 points in their third-straight loss.
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE ST 71
EASTRN KENTUCKY 79 FINAL
Jan 2 8:55 PM
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE ST 29
EASTRN KENTUCKY 28 HALFTIME
Jan 2 7:43 PM
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Guyn's 26 lead E. Tennessee St. in 103-90 win over Green Bay Nov 17
- Hapless Tigers challenge high-flying Frogs Dec 29
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Anderson, Gill power No. 8 Virginia past Tennessee State Nov 26
- Tennessee State comes calling on No. 8 Virginia Nov 25
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Tennessee State names Dana Ford head coach Apr 21
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21