Middle Tennessee tops Louisiana-Lafayette 68-58Jan 3, 2010 - 4:03 AM MURFREESBORO, Tenn.(AP) -- James Washington scored 23 points to pace Middle Tennessee to a 68-58 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday night.
Washington also dished out five assists for the Blue Raiders (7-6, 2-0 Sun Belt Conference), who have now won four straight. J.T. Sulton chipped in with 11 points.
Trailing by six points, Tyren Johnson made 1 of 2 free throws for the Ragin' Cajuns to cut Middle Tennessee's lead to 59-54 with 3:47 remaining. But the Blue Raiders would respond with a quick 8-0 run, giving themselves a 67-54 advantage with 1:51 left in the game.
Chris Gradnigo scored 23 points to lead Louisiana-Lafayette (4-10, 1-2), who are on a five-game losing streak. Johnson added 10 points.
Middle Tennessee outrebounded the Ragin' Cajuns 37-24, and won the game despite turning the ball over 20 times.
- NCAA BB
UL LAFAYETTE 58
MIDDLE TENN 68 FINAL
Jan 2 10:01 PM
- NCAA BB
UL LAFAYETTE 33
MIDDLE TENN 29 HALFTIME
Jan 2 8:51 PM
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Bluejays and Blue Raiders meet in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 29
- McDermott scores 30 to power Creighton past Louisiana Mar 21
- Cajuns and Bluejays duke it out in West Region action Mar 21
- Louisiana wins Sun Belt title over Georgia State Mar 16
- Georgia State and Louisiana meet for Sun Belt title Mar 16
- Louisville's offense erupts in rout of Louisiana Dec 7
- Seventh-ranked Cardinals continue run with Cajuns Dec 7