UMKC pulls out tight 53-50 win over Southern UtahJan 3, 2010 - 3:42 AM KANSAS CITY, Mo.(AP) -- Bakari Lewis sank a 3-pointer with just 17 seconds left to give Missouri-Kansas City a narrow 53-50 win over Southern Utah on Saturday night.
The Kangaroos (8-6, 2-1 Summit) were on top 50-48 with less than a minute to go when Davis Baker was fouled and made a pair of free throws to tie it for the Thunderbirds (4-10, 0-3).
After Lewis made his 3-pointer, Baker tried to tie it again with four seconds left, launching his own shot from long distance. The ball bounced off the rim, clinching the win for the Kangaroos.
Lewis finished the game with nine points, while three of his teammates - Jay Couisnard, Spencer Johnson and LaTreze Mushatt - each scored 11.
Baker led the game with 20 points and was the only Thunderbird with double-digit scoring.
The teams was tied nine times throughout the game, including four times in the final 10 minutes.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN UTAH 50
UMKC 53 FINAL
Jan 2 9:55 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN UTAH 25
UMKC 26 HALFTIME
Jan 2 8:55 PM
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- No. 14 Iowa State coasts to win over UMKC Dec 10
- Kangaroos hoping to bounce past 14th-ranked Cyclones Dec 9
- SDSU routs Southern Utah Dec 19
- Thunderbirds come calling on 24th-ranked Aztecs Dec 18
- No. 3 Louisville cruises past UMKC Dec 4
- No. 7 Louisville takes on UMKC Dec 4
- Iowa State routs UMKC Nov 25
- Cyclones set sights on Kangaroos Nov 25
- UMKC picks Louisville assistant Richardson Mar 19
- UMKC fires Brown Mar 12
- No. 25 Kansas State holds off UMKC Dec 29