Memphis rolls past Houston Baptist 93-52Jan 3, 2010 - 10:21 PM MEMPHIS, Tenn.(AP) -- Roburt Sallie scored 20 points and Memphis shook off early cobwebs before defeating Houston Baptist 93-52 on Sunday.
Memphis (10-3) came out flat, a possible holdover from its New Year's Eve loss to No. 14 Tennessee, but eventually got untracked midway through the first half.
The Tigers forced 26 turnovers and held the Huskies to 33.3 percent from the field (18 of 54).
Elliot Williams added 15 points and eight assists for Memphis, and Wesley Witherspoon finished with 13 points. Pierre Henderson-Niles and Willie Kemp scored 11 apiece for Memphis.
Sallie was 8-for-13 from the field.
Andrew Gonzalez led the Huskies (1-12) with 15 points.
Houston Baptist, which is at the bottom of the RPI rankings according to collegerpi.com, lost its fifth straight, trailing by as many as 47 in the second half before the Memphis reserves took the floor.
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- No. 11 Wichita State beats Memphis Nov 18